Points of Pride
- Kohl has strong parent involvement! We have a very active PTA, School Improvement Team (SIT) and a large number of parent volunteers who work in classrooms daily.
- Kohl was one of the first schools in BVSD to use a highly successful Response to Intervention (RtI) model to serve students who have special needs.
- At Kohl we pride ourselves in serving the whole child, allowing students and their families to thrive in a positive and nurturing environment.
- Kohl has long been known for its quality staff and strong academic program. Our highly experienced teachers go the “extra mile” to help children learn.
Our goals are in three major areas that mirror the overall goals of BVSD. Those areas are: achievement, equity and climate. Our achievement and equity goals this year are focused on improving our math instruction by integrating a variety of strategies, assessments, interventions and new math curriculum resources. Our climate goal is focused on increasing our use of a Positive Behavior System (PBS) through our RIDE – Respect, Integrity, Determination and Equity work. With increasing our efforts to have clearer expectations and supporting our strategies for positive adult interaction we expect to strengthen our already positive and nurturing environment. School Profile
The school is organized into traditional single grade-level, self-contained classrooms. Our strong core academic program is complemented by an equally strong collection of enriching and fun experiences that allow children to explore their own interests.
- Literacy support is strong at Kohl. We have highly trained intervention teachers who work closely with highly trained classroom teachers to provide excellent support for our students. Through district funding and building allocations, we are able to serve 70+ students in small group instruction in first through fifth grade. Our HIGHLY trained teachers utilize a variety of programs from Reading Recovery, CLIP and LLI to support students.
- Our gifted program, called TAG, serves over 30+ students. We have a differentiated approach to teaching each child so they can achieve maximum learning.
- One of the major strengths of Kohl is its strong parent support. We believe that educating a child is a partnership between home and school. Our parents make Kohl a wonderful, high achieving school. If you want to be involved in your child’s education, Kohl is the place!
- Kohl has a strong special education component. We have a multi-intensive special education classroom that serves 10+ students. We also have two full–time resource intervention teachers who support students through targeted intervention. Lastly, we have a pre-school classroom that serve a mixture of multi-intensive and mainstream students.