Points of Pride
- Heatherwood is a true neighborhood school with nearly 95% of our students residing in our attendance area.
- Heatherwood is a true “Partnership in Education” consisting of respectful children, caring teachers and supportive parents.
- Our balanced and integrated curricular program builds strong foundational skills while focusing on real world problem solving. Children’s learning emphasizes research, collaboration, simulations and technology.
- Our Positive Behavior System proactively teaches character traits while reinforcing behavior expectations and communication agreements for students and community.
- Heatherwood is a consistently high achieving school as measured by the Transitional Colorado Assessment Program (TCAP).
The Heatherwood professional staff has created a collaborative structure where teachers meet regularly in grade level and vertical teams focusing on research-based and best practice writing instruction. Heatherwood students are learning strategies for handling bullying situations, learning how to report incidents of bullying, and learning an appropriate social vocabulary. School Profile
Heatherwood’s academic strength lies in our balanced and integrated curricular program. Children master and apply literacy and math skills through learning that emphasizes research, problem solving, simulations and technology. The instructional program teaches students to use those skills in higher level problem solving.
Heatherwood takes pride in creating a caring, professional learning community with high academic standards. Our TCAP results are cause for celebration and consistently exceed the state and federal expectations for accountability. 90% of our students are proficient or advanced in reading, 88% in math, 76% in writing, and 79% in science. The successes of our students are indicative of the entire school—all of our students have reason to celebrate their achievement.
Our motto is "Heatherwood Has Heart." As a community, we support each other as learners. Staff and parents foster mutual cooperation, emotional support, and personal and academic growth for all students. This is evident by the numerous parent volunteers in our classrooms every day.
Our teachers, staff and parents create a child-centered and inquiry-based environment. Children benefit from flexible classroom settings, team teaching, flexible grouping, and communication that keeps parents involved.
We invite you to visit, talk with our teachers and parents and see for yourself the great things that are happening at Heatherwood!